Cal Sensors was founded in 1986 in Santa Rosa, northern California, and was a leading manufacturer of standard and customised photoconductive lead selenide (PbSe) and lead sulfide (PbS) infrared detectors, infrared arrays, and infrared emitters.
In 2007 Cal Sensors joined the Illinois Tool Works, Inc. (ITW) family of over 875 independent, dynamic and focused divisions.
In 2014 the Cal Sensors product range was merged with ITW sister-company Opto Diode Corporation - moving to ODC's new 50,000 square feet state-of-the-art wafer fabrication and packaging facility in Camarillo, north of Los Angeles. All manufacturing operations are performed in class 1000 to 10,000 clean rooms for wafer fabrication to assembly and test.
The merger of ODC and CalSensors creates a coherent and complimentary product line of detectors and emitters covering the electromagnetic spectrum from the extreme ultraviolet and x-ray regions to the mid-IR.
Opto Diode will continue to offer a broad range of standard and custom IR solutions, offering extensive electro-optical design capabilities and manufacturing depth to support prototyping to high volume manufacturing.